Friday, January 23, 2009

Home Is Where the Heart Is

News is a strange business for the people involved.  On and off Air.  We're a nomadic bunch of college grads migrating from one market to another every two years or so.  Making new lives, new friends, new loves.  Why though?  What makes the people in this industry so willing to pick up their ENTIRE life and start over.  What are we running from?  

Personally, I want to get up and go.  There is something refreshing about having a clean start in a new town.  I feel like I'm in a rut.  Probably self induced.  There's probably just as good a chance of meeting someone here in Baltimore as there is in Atlanta, Portland, Nashville, ect.  But maybe the change is something that will kickstart that.  

It's amazing what we go through in attempts to not be strapped to a desk.  I worked a 3am to 12 noon shift for a year and a half! Right out of college.  I lost a lot of friends, lost a lot of sleep, and still enjoyed most of it.  I went from that shift to working 2pm to 1030pm Saturday through Wednesday.  A step up for sure but I lost my weekends.  

Work has become my life.  But I love my work.  Hell, I come in wearing jeans and a polo shirt every day.  How many other working adults can say that?  I've met Cal Ripken, seen Barack Obama in person.  How many people can say that?  But the great moments in my work life have been at the expense of any personal life progression.  

I guess I gotta find a balance....Maybe in Cashville.

Current Jam - Drive-By Truckers "One of These Days"

No comments: