Wednesday, February 4, 2009

There's a Story to Every Corner

Baltimore is tiny.  Some people call it Smalltimore.  It fits.  Socially you don't even need Six degrees to connect people you meet in this town. 

Two and a half years ago when I graduated from Towson I didn't know much about the city geographically.  But now I've probably driven past every street.  

When new reporters start the photojournalist turns into more of a tour-guide.  (We are already more like professional drivers but that's for another day).  

Roland Park  -  "That's the street where I got the truck stuck in the ice after going live all morning with the double fatal fire."

North and Warwick - "Oh, I was here shooting a car that was flipped completely over after hitting a curb too fast."

Lombard and President - "One day I couldn't get the mast of the truck to descend and was stuck for two hours."

Too Many Streets - "I was at a shooting here."

News people new to this city get up to speed really, really quick if they drive around with talkative photogs enough.  

I like that I've had so many good and bad experiences working and living in Baltimore.  You get possessive of a city you spend so much time in.  I never felt that way growing up outside of D.C. but Baltimore fits its nickname.  Charming.


Current Jam - The Pixies  "Tame"

2 comments:

Dr. Spaulding said...

I completely agree with this last paragraph. I am possessive of this city, and I never felt that way about Gaithersburg in the nine years I lived there. (I see two of my students are following you now, too, btw.)

CCCam said...

I noticed that! The more readers the better!