Thursday, March 12, 2009

Stones and Circus'

I was able to shoot a preview of the Cirque de Soleil event that is down at M&T Bank Stadium.  Really amazing.  I've never seen any Cirque but I can see why it's so popular.  One of those times the saying "fun for the whole family" may actually apply.  

The circus was towards the end of my  work day yesterday.  The beginning was filled with rocks thrown at me my camera by 12 year olds.  

I had to go do a liveshot from Lemell Middle School.  Which is one of the schools that may be closed to shorten a city school budget gap.  

I drive down to the school, and set up on the other side of the street from the school.  As I'm pulling cable, setting up a light, I hear something whizz by my head.  I look up to see these kids shouting obscenities at me, flipping me off, and throwing rocks at me.  

Now I did nothing to them.  Didn't say anything, didn't provoke them in any way.  And just my presence was enough to set these kids, and they were kids, to throwing things at me.  Well I called the cops.  Not for fear of my own safety, but if one of those kids got a really good toss in, They could crack the lens of my camera.  

The police got there in great time, and were able to hang out long enough for my reporter and I to get our shot off and out of there.  

A kid was killed outside this school last November.  Maybe the kids got their fill of the media after that event and were still frustrated.  I dunno.  I'll never know why they did it.  Just chalk it up to another "only in Baltimore" moment.

No comments: