Thursday, March 5, 2009

Time

The world revolves around it.

We dictate our ages by it.

News is dominated by it.

Gotta start on time.  Gotta get out on time.  Gotta keep the package a certain time.  Gotta get to the presser at the right time.  (The Governor and the Mayor are always 15-20mins late though.)

I can't be late.  I hate being late.  It's a fear that I'm sure my mother instilled in me at a young age.  So I think I fit the timing world of news fairly well.  What becomes an issue is when I work with someone who doesn't have the same concept of time as myself.  

If I had it my way we would have non-linear editing equipment in all the news vans and we would never have to come back to the station to put a story together.  Keeping people in the field keeps them away from distractions that could delay, and potentially put in danger, the quality of the product placed on the air.

I can't even begin to tell you how many times I have been rushed, or someone else has had to finish the edit of a story, due to lack of time.  

Maybe I'm just being to stressful....another wonderful genetic gift that I'm sure is leading to the ever growing size of my forehead.  But I would rather be stressed and get a story done than be lackadaisical and rushed.  

No comments: